There are many scholarships in Nigeria, ranging from government to individuals. Scholarships have made a huge difference in the educational sector in Nigeria. In a country where the poverty level is so high that people can barely afford to have one square meal a day, scholarship schemes established by big organisations have helped in ensuring that many Nigerian youths can go to school up to the university level.
As much as these scholarships are somewhat in abundance, some stand out. If you’re a student hoping to get a financial reprieve for your education, don’t worry. Below is the list of the top 10 scholarships in Nigeria and how to apply for them.
1 Top 10 scholarships in Nigeria and how to apply for them
Top 10 scholarships in Nigeria and how to apply for them
1. Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) Scholarship
The Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) is one of the biggest organisations that award scholarships to Nigerian students. NLNG is an oil and gas organisation that awards scholarships to study in any tertiary institution in Nigeria from the undergraduate level to the postgraduate level. The scholarship is worth N300,000. To apply for the NLNG undergraduate scholarship:
- Visit https://www.nigerialng.com/.
- Click on the “Social Performance” menu to select “Education” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the UGSS Scholarship application link on the “Related Links” section.
- Register to create a profile and commence the application process. Your registration must include attached copies of your Passport-sized photograph, WASC, SSCE or NECO result, UTME result, official signed and stamped Year-One first-semester result (session), university admission letter, university student ID card and Local Government Area Letter of Identification.
To apply for the NLNG post-graduate scholarship, visit www.nigerialng.com to apply. Click Social Performance » menu to select « Education » from the drop-down menu. Then click on the « Post-Graduate Scholarship » application link « Related Links » section of the page to access the application portal. Of course, make sure you attach all relevant copies of your credentials.
2. Agbami Scholarship
The Agbami scholarship is sponsored by Chevron Nigeria in collaboration with Agbami partners. However, the scholarship is only for medical and engineering students in different universities in Nigeria. You must be in your 100 or 200 level to be eligible. The scholarship is worth at least N200,000. Take the following steps to apply.
- Visit https://www.ormngr.com/register
- Click on “Apply Now” to create an account
- Go to your email to activate your account
- Return to the website and login with your registered email and password
- Enter your personal information, and other required information. Don’t forget to upload the required copies of your documents
- Upload a passport photograph with a white background and check for any errors in your application
- Submit your application and wait for an email that confirms your application.
3. PTDF Scholarships Programme
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is a federal government-owned organisation that offers scholarships to Nigerian students to study in the country or overseas. A subsidiary of the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources that offers the “PTDF Scholarship Scheme”, the scholarship is worth at least N200,000 and a laptop for undergraduates and postgraduate students. To apply, visit the official website to create an account. An email with instructions on how to login and set your password will be sent to your registered email.
4. Federal Government Scholarship
The Federal Government Scholarship is sponsored by the federal government for Nigerian students under the Ministry of Education. The scholarship scheme is for NCE, HND, university undergraduates and postgraduate students. University students get N150,000, while NCE students get N100,000. As an undergraduate, you must have a minimum qualification of Five (5) Distinctions (As & Bs) in your WAEC. Postgraduate applicants must have held a First Degree with 1st Class or at least 2nd Class Upper Division. You must also complete your NYSC to be eligible. The scholarship ranges from 4- 9 years, depending on the level of study and the country. To apply for the scholarship, take the following steps:
- Visit https://fsbn.com.ng/scholarships
- Click “Apply Now” to create an account
- Fill in your information to register.
5. MTN Scholarship
Telecommunications giant MTN created a foundation to give back to Nigerians. The MTN scholarship is one of the schemes to help Nigerian students study science and technology courses in different universities. You must be in the 200 level to access the scholarship worth at least N200,000, which you will get as long as you keep up with the required grades. To apply, take the following steps:
- Visit www.mtnonline.com/scholarships,
- Go to “Create Account” and enter your Name, E-mail, and password, and click “Submit.”
- Login with your registered email address and password.
- Copy the 12-digit PIN No. and your page, and select the “ Apply for Scholarship” button.
- Enter the 12-digit PIN No. and click the ”Apply Now”
- Fill all required details in the form and submit.
- Print a copy of the completed form for the verification process.
6. NNPC/Chevron Scholarship
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation often collaborates with Chevron, one of the biggest oil companies in Nigeria, to award scholarships to Nigerian undergraduates. The scholarship is worth N200,000, and you must be in 200 level to be eligible. To apply:
- Visit https://scholastica.ng/
- Click on “Apply Now” and create an account.
- Activate the account in your email.
- Login with your registered email and password.
- Enter all required information and upload all required documents, including a passport photograph with a white background.
- Proofread for errors.
- Submit your application. You will receive an email confirming your application is successful.
7. NNPC/Total E & P Scholarship
NNPC also collaborates with another oil giant, TOTAL Energies to offer scholarships to Nigerian students. The scholarship is worth N150,000 per annum, and you must be in 100 or 200 level to be eligible. To apply:
- Visit https://scholarships.totalenergiescsredu.ng/scholarship-application-form/
- Enter your personal information, which includes your name, date of birth, and permanent home address. Upload your recent passport photograph.
- Enter your contact information which includes email and mobile phone information.
- Enter your state and local government of origin data. Upload a certificate or proof of origin from your local government or state.
- Select your university, course and year of study. Upload your JAMB/University admission letter.
- Input your JAMB score or CPGA. Upload your JAMB statement of result and university CPGA. For year two medical students, your JAMB score suffices.
- Review your application to check for errors.
- Attest you have given all required info and accept the terms and conditions. You will receive an email confirming your application.
8. Jim Ovia Foundation Scholarship
Jim Ovia is the owner of Zenith bank, one of the biggest banks in Nigeria and Africa. A philanthropist, Ovia had awarded hundreds of scholarships to Nigerian students since 2004, when he founded the Jim Ovia Foundation. The scholarship is N150,000 per annum. Students of all levels can apply. If you’re interested in the scholarship, apply here.
9. NNPC/Addax Scholarship
NNPC also collaborate with another oil company in Nigeria, Addax Petroleum, to award scholarships to Nigerian students. The scholarship is worth N100,000, and students from 100 level can apply. If you’re interested, follow the steps below:
- Visit www.scholastica.ng/
- Click on the “Apply Now” tab
- Select “Register Now” to create an account.
- Activate your account in your email.
- Return to www.scholastica.ng to continue the application
- Enter your registered email and password.
- Enter your personal information and other required information, and upload the required scanned documents.
- Upload a passport-size photograph with a white background.
- Proofread for errors and submit. You will receive an email confirming your application is successful.
- Return to www.scholastica.ng and download your profile. Go to your Head of Department to sign the document.
- Upload a scanned copy of the signed profile for verification.
- Note that you must have your National Identification Number (NIN) to be considered for the scholarship.
10. Exxon Mobil Scholarship
Exxon Mobil is another big oil company in Nigeria. The oil company established a scholarship programme to fulfil social responsibilities and help Nigerian students attend tertiary institutions. The scholarship is worth N75,000 per annum, and it’s open for students between 100 and 200 levels. However, you must be a registered undergraduate in a Nigerian university to be eligible. Apply for the Exxon-Mobil scholarship online, using the Exxon-Mobile online application form on the Mobil application portal. Make sure you enter all the required information and documents before you submit. Good luck!